It’s been an incredibly stressful time for most advisors and their clients. You have been putting out fires, worrying about the markets, and having the same conversations over and over with clients. But what comes next? How can you maintain a trusted relationship with your clients at a distance? How can you work remotely with the same level of efficiency and connection? Now is the time to work with clients virtually.
That’s where virtual meetings come in. If you can’t meet in person, it’s critically important to use video and share your screen to:
- Increase trust and improve communication.
- Share charts, graphs, and financial information.
- Show clients how to access their accounts and other info online.
For many advisors who are not tech savvy, adapting to working virtually can be painful and frustrating. Here are my recommendations to work with clients virtually in a hurry, even if you are not tech savvy.
Before You Start
To run virtual meetings, it’s ideal to have a camera and a microphone for your computer. If you have a Mac, you likely have these options built in. If you have a PC, you may need to purchase a webcam with microphone to connect to your USB port. In a pinch, you can run your meetings with screen sharing only (no video) and dial into the calls from your normal phone line.
1. Choose Your Virtual Meeting Software (Recommendation: GoToMeeting)
There are many virtual meeting software solutions out there, including Zoom, Skype, Join.Me, GoToMeeting, and more. It’s important to choose one that is approved by your compliance department and easy to use.
I recommend using GoToMeeting for several reasons. First, I think it is the easiest software system to use for advisors who are not tech savvy. Second, it makes it easy on your clients, because they don’t have to download any software to join a call.
GoToMeeting is my top recommendation for advisors for the following reasons:
- Widely approved by even strict compliance departments
- Easy to host meetings
- Does not require your clients to download software (They only have to click on a link to join the call.)
- Available with computer audio or phone (dial-in) audio
- Shares either video of you or video of your screen
- Can create instant meetings on demand or scheduled meetings for the future
- Easy to record meetings or presentations for later viewing
- URL personalized for your business (e.g., https://www.gotomeet.me/
2. Set Up Your Account
Watch the video tutorials to learn how to host a meeting, schedule a meeting, share your screen, etc.
3. Do A Test Call
Once you feel comfortable, do a test call with a team member or family member. Send them the link to click and ask them to join your meeting. Make sure your audio, video, and screen sharing features are working.
4. Add Your GoToMeeting Link To Your Calendar
If you have an online calendar scheduler, you’ll want to add your GoToMeeting link to be added as the default “location” for appointments. This means that the link will show up on calendar appointments and reminder emails to your clients so they can easily click to join.
5. Call Clients To Help Them Get To The Meeting
I recommend calling clients at their normal phone number at the designated meeting time and giving them the URL to join the meeting. This way you can explain how to join and continue audio by phone if needed.
6. Announce That You Are Available Virtually
Send out an email announcement to all clients letting them know that you’re available to meet with them virtually. Here are some key points you may want to include:
1. We are open for business.
2. We care about you.
3. We are here for you.
4. Here’s how we are working for now.
5. Here’s what we look forward to when this storm has passed.
6. Contact us at any time to schedule a virtual meeting.
7. Ask If Their Friends Or Family Need Help
Now is the time that people have an unprecedented urgency to act. Let your clients know that you’re taking on new clients and that it’s easy for their friends, family, and coworkers to set up a free virtual meeting.
Once you get comfortable using virtual meetings, you may never want to go back. There’s no traffic, no commute time, and no health risk to you or your clients.
If you need help setting up your GoToMeeting account or communicating with clients, we are here to help. Send me an email at [email protected]
For more information about digital marketing and how to work with clients virtually, watch Is Now A Good Time In Helping People Find You Online? and grab a copy of my book, The Marketing Guide for Financial Advisors, which is now on sale for only $15.99!