1. Make it PersonalYour network wants to understand why you do what you do. Tell your story and showcase personal photos, milestones, or events. I recommend starting your personal posts with “Why I Became a Financial Advisor.” Here’s a great example.
2. Promote Your EventsBegin inviting folks to register for your events at least two months in advance. If you have more than a few events, send an event calendar at the beginning of the year. Be sure to send photos and thank you messages after client events.
3. Offer Valuable ResourcesIf your target demographic is concerned about Social Security, create a comprehensive Social Security guide that will help them decide when and how to start claiming benefits. Aim to give away 90% of what you know for free and be available for follow up questions. Here’s an example focused on pre-retirees.
4. Share Demographic or Employer-Focused ContentIf you work with a specific industry or employer, create content that is uniquely valuable to your niche. One example is “Your 2017 Chevron Benefits Guide,” which can be readily shared between coworkers. For a specific industry, brainstorm the biggest challenges your prospects are facing and create helpful resources like “How Dentists Can Catch Up for Retirement in a Hurry.”
5. Leverage Case StudiesCase studies highlight the types of clients you’ve helped, the challenges they faced, and the solutions you created. They help prospects understand the type of client that you serve and how you interact with them. Case studies are powerful because they serve the same social proof as a testimonial, without violating the FINRA testimonial rule because we don’t mention specific investments or products. Check out this Case Study report.
6. Use Promotional CampaignsBe sure to include a few promotional campaigns with a sense of urgency. Try “Make an appointment now to schedule your 2017 financial review.” Make it easy for prospects to take the next step by scheduling a call online or asking questions by email. Here’s one advisor using an online appointment scheduler.
7. Try VideosCreating videos is an easy way to get twice as many views as a text blog post. Videos don’t need to be fancy or expensive, just focus on a well lit room and clear audio. Here’s a great video about a unique planning approach, “What’s More Important Than Money?”
8. Proactively Communicate About Timely TopicsBrexit? The election? Be sure to save a space in your calendar for timely topics, including market volatility. It’s critical to proactively communicate in good times and bad, so have a post ready for when the market goes down in 2017 to reassure clients and urge prospects to make a move.
9. Do a Client SurveyEach year, run a client satisfaction survey to make sure you spot any service issues and to ask for referrals. The process helps clients feel more valued and involved. The feedback helps you understand why clients choose to work with you instead of another advisor, which helps your marketing efforts in the future.
10. Celebrate With Holiday or Charitable PostsSave a space in your calendar to share what you’re most passionate about. Clients are dying to know what you do outside the office. Have you completed a cycling race? Donated your time towards your favorite philanthropy? Accompanied your kids to their sports championship? The holidays are the perfect time to thank your clients for a great year and share stories and photos of your family. Here’s a short and sweet example from the Thanksgiving holiday.
Download Your Free 2017 Marketing CalendarOf course, you’ll want to customize your calendar for your specific practice. But viewing the year in it’s entirety can help you remember what you most want clients and prospects to be thinking about. Download this template and customize it to create your own 2017 marketing calendar today!
January: Schedule Your Appointment Now to Review Your 2017 Financial Plan
February: Your 2017 Social Security Guide (Free Download)
March: Why I Became a Financial Advisor
April: Do You Know Someone Who Could Use Our Help?
May: Please Join Us for Our Upcoming Event (Register Now)
June: Our 2017 Mid-Year Market Update
July: What’s New At Our Firm? Watch Our Video Update Now!
August: What Should You Do About Recent Market Volatility?
September: Is It Time for a Life Insurance Review?
October: How Much Risk is in Your 401(k)?
November: Take Our 2017 Client Satisfaction Survey
December: Ten Financial Actions to Take Before 2018
Take Marketing Off Your PlateDoes a marketing calendar sound like a great idea but you don’t have the time to execute? That’s where we can help. Our monthly marketing package is our most popular because it allows advisors to take marketing off their plate and delegate to an experienced professional. We create original, custom content to help people understand who you serve, what you do, and how you can help. The result is your own cohesive marketing plan that helps prospects find you when they need you most and keeps you top-of-mind with referral sources. Fill out the form below to lock in our competitive pricing and get marketing off your plate.
Claire Akin runs Indigo Marketing Agency a full-service marketing firm serving top independent financial advisors. Claire is a former Investment Advisor Representative who holds her MBA in Marketing from the Rady School of Management at UC San Diego as well as a BA in Economics from UC Davis. It’s her goal to help advisors leverage content marketing to grow their businesses by embracing a true specialty.