In today’s virtual environment, is it possible to build relationships with personal content?
When you meet with your clients or call them on the phone, what is the first thing you talk about? Do you immediately discuss your market outlook or investment strategy? I doubt it.
More often, you probably ask about their family, their kids, and how they’ve been doing. You may give them an update on your family and hobbies. Why should your marketing messages and website be any different?
One of my favorite examples is a blog post we did for an advisor client called “Photos From The Father-Daughter Sugar Plum Ball.” If someone you care about posts a topic like that, it’s impossible not to click to see the pictures!
How Personal Content Supports Your Marketing Strategy
People want to do business with a person, not a corporation, especially when it comes to something as personal as their family’s wealth. As a financial advisor, marketing with personal content helps you to be more:
It is also typically the highest-performing content on an advisor’s website. The increased traffic, email opens, and email click-through rate helps improve your website’s search engine rankings over the long run.
Examples Of Personal Content That Helps Connect With Your Network
At least twice a year, you should incorporate personal content with photos into your marketing strategy. This content could be any updates or stories that your network may find interesting. Here are a few examples that have performed well for our advisors in the past:
- Meet Our New Team Member
- See Photos Of Our New Office Location
- Lessons From Our Family Vacation
- Meet The Newest Addition To Our Family (Grandbaby Photos!)
- The One Lesson I Teach My Kids About Money
- Why I Became A Financial Advisor
- The 3 Biggest Money Mistakes I See
- Photos From Our Latest Event
- My Favorite Golf Courses In San Diego
- My Favorite Restaurants In Omaha
Creating Personal Content To Tell Your Story
Because writing and deploying personal content can be uncomfortable for advisors, it’s a fantastic task to outsource to your professional marketing team. One advisor that we support who does this really well is Rocklin Senavinin CFP® of Fiduciary Wealth Management.
Our advisor clients like Rocklin send us their photos and a few bullet points, and then we do the rest of the work, including:
- Writing each article
- Creating a compelling headline
- Editing and proofreading
- Adding images
- Uploading to their website
- Sharing via email
- Posting to social media
- Tracking the success of each post
For this particular advisor, 5 of his 8 all-time top blog posts are personal posts! Here’s a list of his overall top-performing blog posts and the percentage of total website traffic they represent.
- Why I Am Passionate About Being a Financial Advisor (5.31% of total site traffic)
- Our Incredible Weekend At The Viking Cooking School (5.05% of total site traffic)
- What Does The SECURE Act Mean For You?
- We Are An Independent And Fee-Only Investment Advisory Firm
- Medicare Part B Premiums Increasing This Year
- Photos From The Father-Daughter Sugar Plum Ball (3.12% of total site traffic)
- My Favorite Restaurants In Little Rock (2.8% of total site traffic)
- Summer Series: My Favorite Restaurants In Little Rock (2.65% of total site traffic)
You can see that almost 20% of traffic to Rocklin’s website is traffic to these pages! These personal posts do really well by both email and on social media to captivate interest and keep him top of mind.
They also give clients something to chat about the next time he meets with them. Being able to build relationships with personal content is an important element of building longer-lasting relationships over time, especially in a virtual environment.
How To Get Your Marketing Strategy Off The Ground
As part of our Total Marketing Package, we help advisors like you to clarify who they serve, create a custom marketing calendar that fits their needs, and create their personalized content each and every month. To learn more, watch our webinar on What We Do and How We Help, then schedule your free Marketing Strategy Call today!